UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

Hello, I dont know who I should ask for an advice.. I am…

Customer Question
Hello, I don't know who I...
I don't know who I should ask for an advice..
I am living in the sharing house where I am renting a single room. I am not able to sleep at nights because my house mate next door all night (1am - 2am - 3am) talking on the internet and playing games with online friends.. I've been trying to ask him nicely 10 times already, however he just say "sorry" and then just ignoring me. I've told about this my landlord, she asked him stop talking at night 3 times already - unfortunately he ignoring her as well.. I don't want to leave this house as I like my room, the price and the area. I am suffering without sleep already for about 4 months. I was thinking to call the police, but then my landlord would be angry with me because she is living in the same house as well. Could you give me any advice in this situation?

Many Thanks & Best Wishes!

Sincerely,
Sharlotta.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: UK Law
6/21/2010
Solicitor: UK-Justice, Barrister replied 8 years ago
UK-Justice
UK-Justice, Barrister
What you can do is obtain an injunction from the Court for this anti social behavior.

If it is granted the Judge will likely order that he not make noise between x am and x am.

However you would need a Solicitor for this to draft a witness statement, application and present your argument in Court.

But yes - you can apply to the Court for an injunction.
Could I write official complain for my landlord? I don't know if it would help me? I would like to show for my landlord that I am serious about this and she should take more action in this problem. Because I have my rights to have a sleep at night if I am paying for this room. She should tell him that he will have to leave the house if he is going to continue making noises at night, unfortunately she doesn't speak in that way with him, so he doesn't care. I am afraid that the court will not solve the problem for me, because first it will cost me a lot, second I will make poblems for my landlord in this way and she will ask me to leave.. Could you tell me more about my rights in this situation? If there is another way to solve this problem?
Yes you can try and write to your Landlord but if you have already complained then it is likely he will do nothing.

You can say you will leave the house - but then if Landlord does not say anything - are you going to leave?

I have given you advice about the way forward in this situation.
I am sorry, but you haven't really helped me advicing me go to the Court which cost a lot of money or tell the landlord I am going to leave the house when I don't want to leave the house..
Unfortunately I can't accept your answer because I found out by myself what should I do in this case... I found this information on the internet and where can I search for a help:

http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/anti-social-behaviour/

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/CrimeJusticeAndTheLaw/Reportingcrimeandantisocialbehaviour/DG_181715

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/HomeAndCommunity/WhereYouLive/NoiseNuisanceAndLitter/DG_10029682

http://www.lewisham.gov.uk/Environment/Pollution/NoisePollution/NoisyNeighbours/default.htm

I think it would be unfair if I pay for an answer which didn't help me and actualy I had to find by my self all this information..

Sorry about that, thank you for trying to help me.

Regards,
Sharlotta.
You asked a question - I am a lawyer and gave advice. I do not understand why therefore you wanted a legal solution - good luck