How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7602
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

can a french bank take a british person to court over an unpaid

Resolved Question:

can a french bank take a british person to court over an unpaid french bank loan
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 7 years ago.


Thanks for your question.


Yes, there is nothing stopping the French company from issuing proceedings in this country and seeking to enforce the debt against a person's UK based assets. It's generally a bit more expensive for a foreign company to do this, but it is done and if they will seek to do so if the amount of money owed is significant and the person does not have assets in France against which they could enforce judegment from a French Court.


I hope this is not bad news.


If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.


Kind regards,



Customer: replied 7 years ago.


The money owed is approx 3000 pounds and unfortunately i am experiencing financial

problems. I do not have french assets and am now back in the uk. Will they pursue

the money owed.

Expert:  Thomas replied 7 years ago.

For that amount, it's possible yes. If it were half that then probably not. It's just about borderline and it's depend on what kind of policy they have in respect of unpaid loans I'm afraid.


Sorry it could not be better news.


I hope this clarifies, if so please kindly click accept.


Kind regards,



Thomas and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you