How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7602
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my friend who is here on a work permit got married last year.

Resolved Question:

my friend who is here on a work permit got married last year. his wife holds a british passport he has sent away his papperwork to the home office. but has not heard anything back from them. his work permit of 4 years is about to expire in a month or so. he is realy worried. how long does it take for his status to change.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 7 years ago.



Thanks for your question.


If he has submitted his application for settlement (ie. spouses visa) and the application is currently pending then he need not worry about his current visa expiring before he hears back from the HO - he is permitted to stay until the decision on the spouses visa is received.


The HO aims to complete all applications within 6 months of the date the application is submitted so if it is less than 6 months then he should not worry unduly.


If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.


Kind regards,


Thomas and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you