UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

I am concerned about my partner. He has been cautioned for…

Customer Question
I am concerned about my...
I am concerned about my partner. He has been cautioned for common assault on me twice in the past which he admitted to doing. Last week we were arguing and in a rage I said that I was going to throw my engagement ring down the sink. He ran into the kitchen and was trying to get the ring out of my hand. He ran past me and as the kitchen in extremely narrow I fell and he let go of my hand. I hurt myself badly on the floor as I was trying to grab the side and hit my head on the floor. I was hurt so badly I ran into the front room and called the police in a fit of anger. They came and he left and the police took a statement off me. I said to them that I could not tell them that he push me to the floor and they said that he must have. I was very shaky and had already told them that I did not want to give a statement. I feel that the police forced me to and I ended up signing a statement saying that I provoked the situation and he pushed me. How can I change this as it was not his fault?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: UK Law
6/21/2010
Solicitor: Jo C., Barrister replied 8 years ago
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister

How did the police officer manage to 'force' you to sign a statement with inaccuracies?

You sound an intelligent woman. Why didn't you refuse because the statement was wrong?

I told the police officers that I was not sure that he pushed me and they said by the look of my injuries that he must of pushed me and said that they wrote that I provoked him into pushing me. I signed the statement saying that he did push me as in my mind at that stage he had hold of my arm and I fell. I then called the next day and said that I wanted to retract my statement as this was playing on my mind and they said that it did not matter and that it was in their hands. All along they pushed this statement out of me. I was shaking and I said to them I did not want to go through with this on the phone and in person, they said that I had no choice. I am so unimpressed with the way that the police have dealt with this.

Yes, I understand all that. You metnioned it above.

But you must have signed the statement knowing it was wrong. Is that right?