UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

Please could you clarfity the following. A loss adjuster…

Customer Question
Please could you clarfity the...
Please could you clarfity the following.

A loss adjuster came to my house to interview me with reference to a theft claim i had made at my home.

She proceeded to record the interview without first asking my consent, is this legal?

We have made a formal complaint to her company due to this reason and her genereal hostile attitude, there has been much correspondence in both directions. We shall be shortly referring it to the ombudsman but would like to know the legalities on this one point. can you help please?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: UK Law
6/21/2010
Solicitor: James Mather,
 replied 8 years ago
James Mather

Did she record the meeting in secret?

Was it recorded?

Did you object at the time?

Why do you object?

What do you want the ombudsman to do?

Thanks JL

She switched on the recorder prior to asking if it was okay to do so, she then asked if it was okay as it would save her a lot of paperwork. My partner said no it is not alright and to switch it off please.

The whole issue was about her hostile attitude and we have been writing to compain about her and just need to know in which order she should have done things.

She did eventually switch it off.

We are wrting to the ombudsman as we are not satisfied with the outcome of the claim and the way it has been dealt with not just about this one point.

Solicitor: James Mather,
 replied 8 years ago

OK thanks.

What do you mean by "eventually" . Did she record anything?

Why did you object?

There is no legal issue with an attitude.

What do you want to achieve on the recording issue?

Thanks JL