UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

I recieved a witness summons on saturday 19th june, to attend…

Customer Question
I recieved a witness summons...
I recieved a witness summons on saturday 19th june, to attend court on wednesday 23rd june. Its against my partner who i saw drink driving. I really do not want to attend court, what will happen if i dont? This might sound silly but i would rather get prosecuted than him lose his licence, the police never saw him drive either so its all down to me.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: UK Law
6/20/2010
Solicitor: Alice H, Solicitor/Partner replied 8 years ago
Alice H
Alice H, Solicitor/Partner

Are you married?

no not married, living together i have been with him 5 years.
I'm afraid you have to attend Court. Failure to do so could result in a warrant for your arrest and you could be held in contempt of Court, which is an imprisonable offence. Your obligation is to attend Court; what you actually say when you get into the witness box is matter for you.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Relist: Answer quality.
Solicitor: Jo C., Barrister replied 8 years ago
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister

Can I ask what you were hoping for?

I can confirm the above is correct.

im hoping for me not to go to court and for my partner to get let off

So why did you call the police and make a statement against him?

that wasnt the question i asked, what i did i regret. I just want some information on if i dont turn up to court what will happen as i received a witness summons. The police officer never got me to re-read through my statement after i made it, shes got the dates wrong on it.

I did try to withdraw my statement but they wouldnt let me

I realise that it wasn't the question you asked but I need that information in order to answer the question that you did ask.

Please just provide the information that I ask for.

ok, well it was because he took my little girl who is 2 with him, he basicly drove not even 2 car lengths then stopped as he realised what he was doing. But it was too late id already called the police by then as i was so scared that he was actualy going to drive off with her. The police took statements from my friend and me, the week after we tried to withdraw them but they wouldnt let us.
.
??