UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

were a small business. We have 1 member of staff who is likely…

Customer Question
we're a small business....
we're a small business. We have 1 member of staff who is likely to be off sick from May until Sept. We had no other staff who were available in May to do extra hours so took on someone new. They have worked for 4 weeks, have been on the sick for 2 and now say the condition still undiagnosed is likely to keep them off work indefinately so they want to be paid sick pay. We have to replace this member of staff, but we now don't have the time to train anyone new before I have to take time off to go buying. Can I dismiss the new member of staff and replace her with an ex employee who has come home from university and will need minimum training? Help.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: UK Law
6/20/2010
Solicitor: Michael Holly, Solicitor replied 8 years ago
Michael Holly
Michael Holly, Solicitor

Yes you can terminate their contract by giving notice under the contract.

In the first year an employee has no right to claim unfair dismissal or redundancy and can only claim under the contract so as long as you pay for the notice period there is nothing they can do

If their condition is one that would be covered by the Disability Discrimination Act then you need to make reasonable adjustments to cater for the disability which would include time off . However here your need for someone in that position would counter that

I hope this helps kindly click accept so that I get credit for my answer

Best wishes

Yours sincerely

Michael Holly
Michael Holly, Solicitor

Right, dismissed her, gave her 1 weeks pay in lieu of notice, she'd had 3 days paid leave so told her there was no outstanding holiday entitlement. Got a notice today from Employment tribunal. She is asking for 4 weeks pay as she had not received any terms and conditions, a breach of her Statutory rights under Employment Rights Act 1998. She says her pay in lieu was taxed and as it was compensation should be tax free. Not according to the tax office. She is claiming SSP from the day she was ill until she is well enough to work. She is also claiming an unspecified amount of owed Holiday Pay.

Why have the Employment Tribunal taken this on? What have I done wrong?