UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

hi I have just passed my test and stupidly went to buy a car…

Customer Question
hi I have just passed...
hi I have just passed my test and stupidly went to buy a car from a well known car dealers. However the finance company woundn't except my paper certificate document and want my full driving lience as proof. It's taken them 4 days to sort this out and told me this on the day i was suppose to pick up the car. They had to collect the car from york and said they had to tax it ect. I told them I want to cancel because I carn't get the car anyway because the finance company won't let me. They are now pestering me and telling me I need to discuss this further please help where do I stand?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: UK Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/19/2010
Solicitor: Jo C., Barrister replied 8 years ago
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister

Did you agree to the purchase on their premises?

yes signed it there but I carn't buy the car now because of the finance company won't give me finance this is surely out of my hands due to unforseen circumstances

I am sorry but you are bound then. You can cancel if you do a deal by distance within 7-14 days depending on the type of the sale.

However, the practical reality is that they will probably let you cancel but will keep any deposit you paid. IN theory they could sue you for the full cost of the contract but they probably will not do that as its not worth it for them.

when you say by distance what do you mean? and how can I accept to take the car when I carn't pay for it because I don't have the finance to do so surely they should have checked this out first before telling me that I could pick up the car. They keep calling me asking to go and see them but am scared they will talk a load of nonsence and get me to agree to something else I am really stressed and don't know wheather to answer the calls help lol!!!!!!!!!!!!

Over the phone or the internet.

Its as I've said above. They are entitled to sue you and they would win.

There are no magic wands. If you agree to a deal then its your responsibility to either say subject to finance or to ensure that you have the finance in place. They are not responsible for this situation.

they went through their own finance company and they didn't accept it was subject to finance but I didn't get the finance this is what I don't understand

Yes, that sometimes happens.

But its as I've said.