UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

HiI maybe having to face the reality of a divorce requested…

Customer Question
<p>Help! Will i lose my house?</p><p>Hi...
<p>Help! Will i lose my house?</p><p>Hi I maybe having to face the reality of a divorce requested by my wife. we have been married for just over a year and have 2 young chilren under the age of 2, i am concerned that the house we live in was bought by myself and my father before we were in a relationship and she tells me that she will get the house the kids the whole nine yards any advise on the house issue?</p>
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: UK Law
6/19/2010
Solicitor: Glos solicitor, Solicitor replied 8 years ago
Glos solicitor
Glos solicitor, Solicitor
Hi

Regarding your property, the court will look at a variety of things when they come to a decision about splitting your assets.

An important factor will be who has care of the children. If there is going to be an outcome where you would have contact but the children would live with your wife then it is likely that given their young ages the court would consider it reasonable that your wife should remain in the home with them.

This does not however mean that you would loose the house. What it means is that you will need to consider a number of options:

1. You are brought out of the home for a percentage of its value
2. Your wife and children stay in the home until one of the following events happen:
She voluntarily moves out
She remarries
She starts to live with a new partner
She dies
The children leave education.

Once those 'trigger' events have taken place, you would receive a percentage of the house value at a future date.
3. You could insist on a sale and the proceeds would be split.

The fact that you have the house before the marriage would not mean that she is not entitled to a share in it, she is by way of your marriage and having your children.

Whilst I know it may not all be good news, I hope that has provided some useful information

Regards

Emma