UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

if your partner runs up a credit card debt while married,the…

Customer Question
if your partner runs up...
if your partner runs up a credit card debt while married,the partner now wants a divorce,can you ask for the debt money to be taken out of the money from the share the house.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: UK Law
6/18/2010
Solicitor: Jo C., Barrister replied 8 years ago
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister

Hi

Why are you involved with this debt?

no,i did a remotage to clear the debt.

Sorry, I don't understand.

If she has a debt you are not liable for it. Are you saying you re mortgaged to clear it?

If so, what was the agreement about who would pay it?

this debt occur in the marriege,i did a remortgagem to clear the debt,so i am not liable.

You are not liable for her debts. But you are liable for the sum of the mortgage.

And I'm afraid that wouldn't be recognised in a divorce settlement. You chose to agree to the re mortgage and I'm afraid that cannot be reflected in a settlement.

I am sorry.