UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

i thought i was insured on a car was involved in a crash where…

Customer Question
i thought i was insured...
i thought i was insured on a car was involved in a crash where a taxi hit me from behind. the driver has admitted that it was his fault and his company are ready to pay out. the car is covered by insurance for other people,but my cover started at 12 am that night and not at 12pm lunch time as i thought. can i still claim ? the taxi company are asking for the insurance details so they can pay me, but this will show the date as the day after the crash. don't seem to be able to find a straight answer to the question. this only happened yesterday and i've not contacted my insurance company yet. the taxi is a write of and my car has rear damage, but not too bad. both myself and the passenger have bad back and neck injuries and have been to hospital and are now off work recovering. i really need a straight answer of where i stand legally. thank you dave
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: UK Law
6/18/2010
Solicitor: Jo C., Barrister replied 8 years ago
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister

Hi

I'm afraid that will mean you are uninsured.

You can still claim. But they may report you for driving without insurance. That carries 6 points and a fine in the low hundreds though.

Just because you are uninsured does not mean you cannot claim though.

Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
how can i claim, do i just pass on my insurance details to them and see what happens. do you think my insurance company will help me claim or is it down to me to get my own legal help. could he try to recover costs for his car from me ?

The insurance company will not help you claim but if necessary you can sue yourself.

They seem about ready to settle anyway. But yes, he could recoop from your personally if there is any liability.