UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

My mother in law left a will in which she asked for all her…

Customer Question
My mother in law left...
My mother in law left a will in which she asked for all her property to be sold and divided between her two sons. The house is about to be sold and the money divided. However my brother in law says that we will need to put an advert in the paper asking if there are any other claims on the estate. Is this necessary as she made a will and she died in October 2009 and we have paid any bills that were due.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: UK Law
6/18/2010
Solicitor: James Mather,
 replied 8 years ago
James Mather

I think he is referring to a s25 notice asking for missing beneficiaries if someone dies intestate which (if it were the case also needs to go into the London Gazzette)

Unless he is executor it is nothing to do with him BUT as there is a clear will, the notice isnt necessary.

If this helps I will only get credit if you now accept my answer please. The question will not close and happy to answer further.

I can only advise you based on the facts you present.

If you give me good feedback, this helps put me up the ratings.

Thank you.

Good luck.

Regards

JL

James Mather
Solicitor: James Mather,
 replied 8 years ago

Hello again. You have said that there are are no bills due and I replied on that basis. However another Expert has kindly pointed out that the notice referred to would help prevent creditors coming out of the woodwork.

So, if there is a possibility yr late MiL owed other money, then place the notice but if you are satisfied she didnt, then dont.

The notices only need to be small and concise

JL