UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

Hi, there was an incident a couple of days ago where my friend…

Customer Question
Hi, there was an incident...
Hi, there was an incident a couple of days ago where my friend was a passenger in her car, which was fully taxed and insured etc. She said that another friend could drive her to get shopping . she was drunk. Her other friend was banned from driving and could be over the limit. My friend was driven home by the police that night , the driver was arrested. My friend was worried sick and so went to the police station the next day where she was told that no charges have been raised against her and her insurance and licence are fine and she was able to drive the same car. can the police do anything against her now ? Will she have to appear at a magistrates to give evidence and if so, can the magistrate then place a ban on her driving being a passenger.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: UK Law
6/17/2010
Solicitor: Jo C., Barrister replied 8 years ago
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Was she aware that her friend was banned and also over the limit?
She was not aware of the ban nor that he was over the limit but she was very drunk and so could not remember what the police officer said to her when she was driven home by him. She remembers that he read her her rights, ie the right to remain silent but can't quite remember whether he said that he did or did not believe her when she said that she did not know that he was banned. She is very anxious and is concerned that even though at the station the next day she was told no charges or anything would be brought , that she will still be summoned to court and will be charged at that point.

Right. That tends to suggest that she was arrested or given some form of street bail?

All sorted now as spoken to police - All okay - thanks for your help - Lesson to all do not do it !