UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

I have paid 400 on a car on 12th June, I was not happy at…

Customer Question
I have paid £400 deposit...
I have paid £400 deposit on a car on 12th June, I was not happy at the time of buying but felt pressurised into buying the car. I said to the salesman that I would go to look at another garage but he was persistent. On Monday I realised that I didn't want the car and rang the dealership on tuesday morning. I was left a message on the phone to contact the operations manager by letter. I emailed him on Tueday15th June and followed it up with aletter in the post. Do I now have to trade in my car even though I don't want to. Can I get my deposit back? I'd welcome your advice
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: UK Law
6/17/2010
Solicitor: Jo C., Barrister replied 8 years ago
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
What did the dealership say when you cancelled?

I rang up to speak to the salesman but was told he was busy. I told the person on the switchboard that it was important that I spoke to him as I would did not want to go ahead with the sale. I rang again at lunchtime but again the salesman was busy. He then left a message on my mobile and told me that I would have to write to the operations manager. He did not give me a contact number or email address. So I found the contact on the web and wrote him an email and also sent him a letter by post. Today I received a letter from the operations managers, thanking me for my order. the letter is undated but the postmark is Tues 15thJune the day that I rang to cancel the purchase

Did you do the deal over the phone or in the dealership?
I did the deal in the dealership. The young sales rep made me a deal on my car as a trade in. I was not happy and was about to leave the dealership when the senior salesman stepped in and I said I would go to another dealership. He persisted and in the end I weakened and agreed to paying the deposit. The young salesrep told me that there was a seven day cooling off period

Right.

In that case, I am sorry but you cannot cancel in law although they may agree to it in practice.

I am really sorry but if you do a deal on the premises of a trader then you have no cancellation rights. They arise if you do a deal by distance.

Probably they will let you cancel but will keep any deposit but there are no guarantees of that. I am sorry.