UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

if i just marry a woman last year. i bring her aboard. she…

Customer Question
if i just marry a...
if i just marry a woman last year. i bring her aboard. she is hold a chinese passport. but recently i fall in love with another woman. i really want to get marry with her. we dont have any kids but i dont want my wife can still live in uk and find a job to carry on her own life. how long i have to wait to get divorce with her and i can stay with my new girlfriend?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: UK Law
6/17/2010
Solicitor: Thomas, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer

Thanks for your question.

When exactly did you marry your current wife?

Kind regards,

Tom

november 2008 get marry she come to uk in early July2009

Right.

You can divorce your wife, but if you have not been separated for a two years then there are only two facts which you can possibly cite in order to get a divorce. These are 1) Adultery or 2) one party's unreasonable behaviour.

HMCS's website provides lots of useful information about divorce for people considering acting on their own:-

http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/infoabout/divorce/index.htm

There is nothing legally to stop you from staying with your new girlfriend but you may wish to consider whether your wife will react in such a way that it creates disharmony for you or interferes with your plans to get a divorce.

If you divorce then when your wife makes a further application following the end of her spouses visa then the UKBA will note that she is no longer married to you and will have her deported.

If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,

Tom

how about if i want to get marry with my new girlfriend how long i have to wait?

A divorce can taken anything from 6 months to over a year, it depends if there are disputed issues about the divorce itself or financial settelment. If she does not dispute any element of it then you are probably looking at 6 months.

I hope this clarifies, if so please kindly click accept.

Tom