UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

Ordered a settee from my catalogue,within 2 weeks contacted…

Customer Question
Ordered a settee from my...
Ordered a settee from my catalogue,within 2 weeks contacted them about a problem
with bottom seat cushions.Every time you sit on them they slip of the settee.
They sent someone out to look at the promble,who have said no fault to be found.
3 days ago my son age 2 sliped down the back of the settee and when he tried to get of
he fell face first on to the floor.Contacted my catalogue again and have asked for a refund
and for them to pick up settee,but told me I have to wait for the manufacture to get in touch with them before they can do any thing.
PLease help.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: UK Law
6/17/2010
Solicitor: Joshua, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Joshua
Joshua, Lawyer
That is not correct. They have a responsibility to you under the Sale of Goods Act 1979 (as amended).

The goods must be fit for purpose, as described and of satisfactory quality. Based on what you have said, they fail on 1 and 3 at the least.

You are entitled to reject the sofa and request a full a refund. Do so in writing stating the above authority. You can sue them in the county court if they do not comply.

Your contract is with the catalogue not the manufacturer. If they choose to pursue the manufacturer this is their affair and has nothing whatsoever to do with you.

Edited by Joshua on 6/17/2010 at 10:37 AM EST