UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

i have been on a career break for the past few months and am…

Customer Question
i have been on a...
i have been on a career break for the past few months and am returning to work in august 2010. my line manager has advised me that i will have to share a desk with another employee for i month. this includes sharing internet, telephone, desk top and both of us sitting at the desk at once 5 days per week. i asked for an additional desk to be put into the office for this time period but this was refused on the basis that office furniture, filing cabinets would need to be moved. it is a large office.
i am a family and child care social worker. the work is already very stressful. can you advise re the employment law regarding this.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: UK Law
Answered in 1 day by:
6/18/2010
Solicitor: Michael Holly, Solicitor replied 8 years ago
Michael Holly
Michael Holly, Solicitor

This would not constitute a breach of your contract of employment. Firstly it is a temporary arrangement and secondly whilst it may make it difficult if not impossible to do your job well no where it is written that each employee shall have their own desk.

I would complain using the employer's complaints procedure that it will make it impossible for you to work effectively

I appreciate that this is not the answer you were hoping for but kindly click accept so that I get credit for my answer

Best wishes

Yours sincerely