UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

Slander Hi, I have had the unsettling experience of having…

Customer Question
Slander: Hi, I have had the...
Slander:
Hi, I have had the unsettling experience of having a teacher’s aid at my child’s primary school defame me as being somehow dangerous. It started with me complaining about a book that my child (age 8) was expected to read. This takes place during line-up and the TA takes it really badly she raises her voice and is clearly angry and irritated. The next I know is the head wanting to speak to me. The head informs me that as a result of the “altercation” all of the staff has become afraid of me, especially the teachers. That they have been doubling up when I am likely to come near them and I then realise that they have. I simply did not have a reason for expecting anyone to be afraid of me or doubling up against me so I didn’t not realise that it was happening. The situation is deteriorating despite a meeting with the head and talking to the schools governor that agrees with me and writing letters. I’m trying to get a place for my children at other schools but this would not be unt
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: UK Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/16/2010
Solicitor: Jo C., Barrister replied 8 years ago
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
What do you want to know about this?
The thing is that I fear they are slandering me beond the school. I am both wondering wheather I have a case against them since I feel forced to move my children out of the school and that my reputation is suffering. Also what steps I can take to protect myself and my children for the rest of the term.

Thats not slander I'm afraid. That doesn't even appear to be a derogatory comment. all thats happened is that she has taken offence to a challenge you brought and she is allowed to do that.

If you choose to remove your child from the school then they are not responsible for that.

There's no claim against them for this I'm afraid.

It is not derogatory to incite the whole of the teaching staff against me?

To make me look as if I'm really dangerous when there is no reason for it?

Thats rather emotive language that isn't really relevant to this situation.

What they've done is lawful and there is no claim for the reasons above.

It is very relevant that they are wrongful saying that I'm dangerous. I can't have a child at a school if I'm not allowed to address members of staff. Including the child’s teacher and TA. If I were dangerous or had a very bad reputation then I can understand your answer. This is not the case. I have a witness to the fact that I was not in any way insulting to the teacher. I'm a third year PhD student by the way.

OK then. Good luck with this.

You will lose for the reasons I've given you. If you are a PHD student you are likely to know that already.

This is just an argument. You don't get compensation for that.

Edited by Jomo1972 on 6/16/2010 at 8:01 PM EST
Ok I can't accept you answer because you have not given me any reason for why the TA calling me dangerous is not considered slander.
That is how reasoning goes. It is not enough just to claim things you need to be able to give just arguments. Your last reply is particularly emotive.

Ok. Good luck with this then.

Relist: Answer quality.
I got an answer were the expert seems to think that I am just in some argument. This is not the case. The expert insists that it is not slander to describe me as dangerous and making a lot of other people subsequently afraid of me to the point that I'm having difficulty with just basic communication with my child's teacher. Still the expert can not give any reasons to why this is not slander.

LIke I said above, good luck then.

I'm asking for a different expert, thank you and good luck with answering other questions.

Yes, you mentioned all that above.

Good luck with this 'claim'.

Relist: Answer quality.
I got an answer were the expert seems to think that I am just in some argument. This is not the case. Jomo1972 insists that it is not slander to describe me as dangerous and making a lot of other people subsequently afraid of me to the point that I'm having difficulty with just basic communication with my child's teacher. Still Jomo1972 can not give any reasons to why this is not slander.
Jomo1972 also only gives reply to wheather I can make a case. The fact is as I have described that this is an ongoing situation and I have reason to fear further development. I really need advise on how to protect myself from further damage to me and my children that still are going to the school. The slanderer is taking this out on my daughter.
I know that I would hardly ever make a case because they will never admit to any of this.