Clare
Clare, Solicitor
Experience:  family solictor with 25 years experience
13262538

my son seperated from his ex 8 years ago when my grandson was

Customer Question

my son seperated from his ex 8 years ago when my grandson was only months old. my son managed to get his son most times when he was on leave from the army which he had to fight for. since my grandson started we my son started to get his son about half the school holidays. we live in the north east and she lived in portsmouth. his ex has now finished with her current partner and is returning to the north east and will be livin a couple of streets away.

she has said my son can have his son every other weekend for 1 night and have his tea with us once a week for a couple of hours, we dont think this is reasonable. do you?
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Clare replied 8 years ago.

hi

what contact does your son want

claire

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

as his ex who is actually moving back here today only lives a couple of streets away my son obviously would like to have him as much as possible. every weekend sat morning till sunday evenin and maybe one night through the week. forever would be nice as my grandson keeps sayin but we know that wont happen. please advise.

Expert:  Clare replied 8 years ago.

hi

every weekend is unlikely as in general terms the court likes both parents to have a complete weekend with the child

a more realistic request would be for alternate weekends friday to sunday plus one night in the week and half the school holidays

your son can get help support and advice from families need fathers (www.fnf.org.uk)

claire

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

thankyou that sounds great will he have to see a solicitor to enforce this in writing or is it the law, cause i cant see her agreeing to what youve suggested likely, unless my son has some sort of back up.

dawn

Expert:  Clare replied 8 years ago.

hi

the law says that the child is entitled to regular personal contact with both parents but the extent of the contact is dependant on the needs of the child itself

you can find out more on the families need fathers website and on the websites

here

www.divorceaid.org.uk and

www.cafcass.gov.uk

claire