UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

Hello my bf has been charges for GBH with intent form the police…

Customer Question
Hello my bf has been...
Hello my bf has been charges for GBH with intent form the police and he will get his trial next week . we had an aurgument and he hit me in the head with a candle holder.. it was just an aurgumet went outside control and unfortunaly my friend wicth i was speacking on the phone scared call the police..After 2 days this happen i drop the charges against him but now are past 2 months and i still dont have any update. I dont want my bf go to jail for a stupid argument what else can i do for this case. I was thinking to hire a lawyer as well can give me some help because this is unvelieveble if he go to jail when i whidrawan the charges i clearly state that he never been violent before and that it was just a stupid argument wat can i do? also when they take my first statement they can of push me to give it without had any kind of treatment for my head and i was still upset and confuse of wat happen. Please help me for the trial they also send me a letter that they no need my presence..
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: UK Law
6/16/2010
Solicitor: UK-Justice, Barrister replied 8 years ago
UK-Justice
UK-Justice, Barrister
The case can proceed even if you decide to withdraw your statement. The case belongs to the Police - not you.

However, if you have not had a witness summons you do not need to attend Court to give evidence. If you have received a witness summons you must attend Court - but there is nothing stopping you from being a 'difficult' witness.
ok but this case is goin to far and i a wrong way can i change my statement ? whats gonna happen at the trial is gonna be a final sentence or i can still say my word because here im the only whitness and when they take my statement i was upset confuse but they push me to give a statement with my head bleeding when i should to be at the hospital. Those factor should be considered somewhere should i hire a lawyer can i open a complain ?
You can not change your statement - that would be perverting the course of justice for which you would go to prison.

You not co-operate in the witness box and be difficult, but you can not change your statement or refuse to attend Court.
what do u think is gonna happen in this sentence i mean im the withness they should to hear me as well
Yes, they will hear from you. It depends if his is convicted and what his previous convictions are (if any).

he is not convicted before , his trial will be in fews days but i receive a letter they i do no need to attend at the court ... i receive this letter about 1 months ago before i withdrawn the charges.

So when they gonna listen to me? whats gonna happen in this trial ? he can go to prison rigth away? it will be a final sentence?

You can give evidence at trial and give your side. He would not go to prison straight away - there would be 3 weeks for a pre-sentence report.
for evedence what do u mean? i do not want that he go to prison no even after i want that they understandend that it was only a argument outside control because that wat it was... another solecitor told me maybe is better that i dont go to the trial so not having the witness the sentence will be or dropped or less is it true that? i mean it seams you telling me a totally different thing
Just say what you have told me here - please click accept - it does not close the question.
Please click accept - it does not close the question and I can receive feedback.

my last question has not been replyed

for evedence what do u mean? i do not want that he go to prison no even after i want that they understandend that it was only a argument outside control because that wat it was... another solecitor told me maybe is better that i dont go to the trial so not having the witness the sentence will be or dropped or less is it true that? i mean it seams you telling me a totally different thing from the same website

This is not part of your original question although I will reply to this last post.

Evidence you can give on the stand. You can be a difficult witness, not answer questions etc. If you do not give evidence the trial will still proceed.