UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

I have changed my telephone sypplier from BT to cintinental…

Customer Question
I have changed my telephone...
I have changed my telephone sypplier from BT to cintinental telephones. Bt wish to charde me for anumber of months for my broadband which does not expeire until August this year. The want to charge me £120.00 for changing. I did not wish to change my broadband supplier as I understood the new service only covered thelphone calss. I was obviously missled on this. I have just today returned from holiday 1st June till 15th in crete. The letter from BT is dated the 2nd June and it tells me that I must get in touch with them on the 16th June if I wish to continue with BT for my broadband. I have been in touch and have been told that I am too late ,that the exchange has already been done and I must pay £120.00. also that my phone number might Change.I do not want this to happen as I have had this phone number for 40.years. I have complained that I did not know the ins and outs of this contract with the new company and they say that giving me 10 days notice to cancel is a reassonable time.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: UK Law
6/16/2010
Solicitor: INC, Solicitor-Advocate replied 8 years ago
INC
INC, Solicitor-Advocate

Have you discussed the matter with the new supplier?

I have spoken to the new supplier and if I wanted to cancelthey want to charge me £300.00. When I was initially spoken to about changing to the new supplier I was not warned that this change would take only a short time to come about andI was not told of any penalty which may be involved.

Were you provided with a copy of the company's terms and conditions or directed to them on a website?

Many thanks,

No. I was not provided with any details until after I returned from holiday. They were dated 4th June 2010 stating that they would be taking over the account 16th June 2010. I went away on Holiday 31th May and did not return until 16th June and I telephoned them a soon as I opened the mail on the 16th June. This contract is included with the details that the contrct is for 24 months. None of this was told to me when I was first contacted by telephone.When i was initialy contacted I said that I wanted to retain BT as my ISP for my computer. I was led to believe that all that would be affected would be that all my phone calla would be cheaper than BT.