How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7602
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

can i be a british citizen if i have permanent reidence

Resolved Question:

can i be a british citizen if i have permanent reidence
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 7 years ago.



Does your spouse have PR, what is your immigration status in this country presently - I note you say "permanent residence" but do you actually mean "residence permit"? They are different things.



Kind regards,



Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i mean the type of documant is permanent residence card, is indorse in my liberian passport
Expert:  Thomas replied 7 years ago.

Okay, that sounds as if you have an EEA family permit. It should when it runs from and two and it should be for 5 years.


If you are still here and married when the 5 year period runs and your wife is in the UK exercising her treaty rights (living, working in the UK) then you can apply for naturalisation once the period expires.


You will have to apply using form AN1, once naturlised you can then apply for a UK passport.



If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my efforts. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,





Customer: replied 7 years ago.
the 5 years is already run out . than the give me the permanent residence card . like 10 years and to be renew after . can i apply for the AN1 now in my situation
Expert:  Thomas replied 7 years ago.

If you have been here as a family member of an EEA family member then you will be able to apply for nauturalistion upon the expiration of the 5 years.


On the facts you have stated above and without seeing any documents you appear to be eligible to apply for naturalisation now.


Kind regards,



Thomas and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you