UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

I took a credit card out in my parnters name two years ago…

Customer Question
I took a credit card...
I took a credit card out in my parnters name two years ago and feel behind with the payments. My partner was going through a rough time at work so i didint want to bother him with money. The card company rang my parnter a month ago but havent before when i was using the card. we have three children and one on the way. the company want us to pay back in full(15k) or monthly repayments. My question is that can we take the campany to court for issusing me a card without my partner knowing? The company have not got in contact with my patner before and they have given me the card with 15k limit. we can not afford to [ay it all back. thank you
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: UK Law
6/16/2010
Solicitor: Jo C., Barrister replied 8 years ago
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Are the credit card company aware that your partner did not request the card.

Yes they are now as they rang him when they wanted the money

No, but they could take you to court for other various criminal offences. If you took a card in another's name without their permission then that is an act of deception and that is a criminal offence and if you were to start flagging that up it is much more likely that you would find yourself in the dock. The card company are not liable I'm afraid, sorry.