UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

i have just been sacked for gross misconduct and consequentl…

Customer Question
i have just been sacked...
i have just been sacked for gross misconduct and consequently arrested for fraud as i stole £1400 over the past 6 months due to financial mess i got myself into. i havent been in trouble with the police since i was a child. i have held a steady professional job since i left school. i have been forthright and honest with both the police and my previous employersand have now been bailed to return on 1st July. If it was to end up in court what possible punishment could i realistically be looking at and how do i go about getting legal representation as i dont have any finance now?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: UK Law
6/16/2010
Solicitor: Ben Jones, UK Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer

Hi

Have you repaid the money or are you intending to do so?

i didnt at the time as i have little funds but i am planning on doing so before my bail date of July 1st. Should i go via the police or pay directly to my employer?

what other info do you require?

Sorry, this is all I require but have just realised there is someone better that can answer your question as this is more criminal than employment law. I have emailed her and she will respond soon.
Solicitor: Jo C., Barrister replied 8 years ago
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister

Hi

You will get legal aid for this. Thats nothing to worry about. Any criminal solicitor can look after this.

But I'm afraid if this is theft from employer then thats a huge aggravation to the offence of theft. People go to prison on first offences for theft from employer.

That said, this amount is relatively low so although the court will consider custody they will probably end up at a high level community order. Make offers to repay the amount at a rate you can afford and that will really please them.