Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

Would an E.mail count as in writing or does it need to

Would an E.mail count as ''in writing'' or does it need to be on paper.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 7 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

Could you provide some context, what do you need to provide in writing?

Kind regards,

Tom

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Club rules say that '' The date of the Annual General Meeting will be decided by the General Committee and 14 days notice will be given in writing to each member.''
Expert:  Thomas replied 7 years ago.

Right.

In some circumstances, litigation and company notice of general meetings, notice by email is permitted by Law (unless opted out by a party).

In the case of a Club, which I assume to be a members or social club, I do not believe there is a law implying service be email. I should have thought it best to serve notice in writing in the normal way (ie. by post if that is what is done) and then pass a further rule at the AGM that service of notice for meetings in the future shall be permitted to be by email and ask those persons who wish to be so served to provide their email addresses.

As it's a AGM I would think have thought that quite a few people's noses will be put out of joint if service by email is used and has not been the commonly used method in the past. Better to play this one with a straight bat then create potential disharmony which could take up more of your time than the amount of time saved in serving by email.

If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,

Tom