UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

Have been sold a car from a second hand car dealer, on the reciept it says, cust…

Customer Question
Have been sold a car...
Have been sold a car from a second hand car dealer, on the reciept it says, customer to check and replace timing when needed, did'nt understand and looked into the service history apparently it shouldhave been changed every 5 years or at 70000 miles, the car has done 760000 miles! How am I supposed to know when to replace it let alone check it? I have had the car for 5 days and the warranty is for 14 days but does not cover this problem, I am not happy about this as if the belt breaks then the whole engine has to be replaced and I do not have the funds for this
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: UK Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/16/2010
Solicitor: Jo C., Barrister replied 8 years ago
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
What do you want to know about this?
Can I get him to either do the job or give me my money back or replace the car?

he could use that as an excuse to escape liability. To be fair, if its written on the receipt you are being told implicitly that there is a difficulty that needs to be addressed.

I do see your point and, of course, you are not expected to know but what the court may well expect you to do is refuse a deal of that kind.

You can try complaining to trading standards about this though as there may be other aspects to the deal that they could challenge but its probably not safe to sue him.