How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7617
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have my own property, the title deeds are in my name and

Resolved Question:

I have my own property, the title deeds are in my name and the mortgage is in my name. In Sept I need to renew my mortgage

I have just become self-employed, so I don't have the 2 years of accounts needed to show the mortgage company, so it seems that I need a joint mortgage instead, using someone who can prove they have financial means to pay if I can't. This will either be my partner who lives with me, or my dad who doesn't live with me.

I would however like the title deeds to remain solely in my name. is this possible, or does a joint mortgage mean the title deeds have to be changed to the 2 names?

Many thanks
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 7 years ago.



Thanks for your question.


They will almost certainly require the co-named mortgagor to be named on the registered title, nearly all lenders do I'm afraid.


You could, though, at the time of the remortgage enter in to a declaration of trust with your partner or father, this is a deed which states how the proceeds of sale are to be divided if the property is ever sold (after redemption of the mortgage). You could state this in percentage terms and it could be registered against the title of the property as a notice.


If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.


Kind regards,



Thomas and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you