UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

Hi I need some help with employment law. I was called up for…

Customer Question
Hi I need some help...
Hi I need some help with employment law. I was called up for a hearing on the 2nd June 2010 for alleged Gross Misconduct. I admitted to what I had been accused off and was given a chance to state my reasons for my actions. This is a national process my company have taken against members of staff across the country and there are eight members of staff within the team I work with that were called up for a hearing. We was informed that we would get a decision regarding the outcome of the hearings by the end of last week 11/06/10. We were informed on Friday that a further investigation was being carried out and that we would find out the decision at some point in the next 10 working days. My question is that is there a timescale by law that an employer has to inform employees of an outcome from a hearing regarding dismissal?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: UK Law
6/15/2010
Solicitor: Thomas Judge, Solicitor Advocate replied 8 years ago
Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Solicitor Advocate
-Could you explain your situation a little more?

I work as a mortgage consultant for a well known UK High Street Lender and basically accused of falsifying sales figures to achieve target. The company has approached a very aggressive approach to sales and the hearings have come about nationally for a high percentage of mortgage consultants across the country for closing down database listings of customers mortgage accounts that have expired to a variable rate without speaking to them on the phone. When an enquiry is closed down, a point goes towards the consultants overall target. The company decided to withdraw this credit at the end of March 2010, but start an investigation into the volumes keyed at the end of April 2010. We were informed of our hearings on the 28th May 2010 and I had my hearing on the 2nd June. As previously stated I admitted to closing down some of the database enquiries without speaking with the customers. I stated my reasons for doing this and was told I would hear the outcome of the hearing by the 11th june 2010. On the 11th June I received a phone call from a senior manager from another area wanting to clarify what pressures was put onto me and my colleagues from our line manager to achieve sales targets and how our manager had asked us to action the database of customers. I gave my responses to the senior manager and was told the a further investigation was being carried out and that he did not know when a outcome would be communicated. We have since found out that our manager has been suspended, but no mortgage consultant has been suspended or withdrawn from trading. I feel that we are being treated unfairly in this matter and coming into work not knowing whether we are going to get dismissed or issued with a final written warning.

Hiya,

This seems terribly frustrating to say the least.

There is no strict timeline as such for an investigation to be concluded by an employer.

The ACAS Code of Practice, which employers and employees should follow as a guide in disciplinary procedures, states that the nature and extent of the investigation should depends on the seriousness of the matter and the more serious it is the more thorough the investigation should be. So there is no defined timescales as long as the employer keeps the employee informed of the progress and does not take an unreasonably long time in the circumstances.

I hope that helps

Please remember to PRESS ACCEPT