UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

I loaned a work colleague of mine some money and the company…

Customer Question
I loaned a work colleague...
I loaned a work colleague of mine some money and the company agreed with him to deduct an amount monthly so he could pay it back to me. He left the company but was told by both managers that they had already secured the remainding amount of £600 and would be paying it to me in due course( the person who owed me the money confirmed this) I have now left the company due to a dispute but they now have said there is no money as they made a mistake but this was promised to me. Can I make a claim for this money
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: UK Law
6/15/2010
Solicitor: Ben Jones, UK Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer

Hi

Did you agree anything in writing with the company?

no written agreement just a verbal one but was told by both parties and the colleague in question was also informed of this and have recieved a text message saying I was no longer entitled to this money which I have kept
Who sent you the text - your employer? If so, have they said why you are not entitled to the money?
yes my employer they stated that I was not entitled to it as the money was still owed to them for a loan they gave him for repairs on his vehicle even though they told him that this had already been resolved

OK, you are unlikely to be able to take any action against your employer for that. The loan was between you and your colleague so you can only pursue him for the money. He would then have to pursue the company himself to recover the money that he has given them.

So if you want to claim against your colleague then you can make a claim online via the Court's Money Claim Online Service:

https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/web/mcol/welcome

It will cost you £60 to make your claim and you don't really need a solicitor as this is just the small claims court and most people that go there are unrepresented anyway.

Please press the ACCEPT button to proceed. You would then be free to ask any follow-up questions you may have. Thank you.