UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

I sold my business last year and the new owner has told various…

Customer Question
I sold my business last...
I sold my business last year and the new owner has told various people (staff, customers, suppliers) various untrue things such as I didn't pay Inland Revenue, I lied about various aspects of the business, etc. Non of which are true and I have been forwarded emails and letters by various people. As I am the owner of another business, I am getting a bit fed up with all this rubbish - especially as I have a reputation for being upfront and fair and am not very happy that this person is suggesting that I'm 'fleecing' the Inland Revenue!

I'm looking into suing for libel and slander. How would I go about this and are there no-win-no-fee lawyers who could pick this up on my behalf?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: UK Law
6/15/2010
Solicitor: F E Smith, Solicitor replied 8 years ago
F E Smith
F E Smith, Solicitor
I regret to say that no solicitor will take such a case on a no-win no-fee basis.Legal aid is not available either regardless of means.Slander cases are hugely expensive and costs follow the event.I am sorry that I cannot always give good news.Glad to help.Please click on Accept so that I can be paid.
I regret to say that no solicitor will take such a case on a no-win no-fee basis.

Could you please explain what you mean by 'such a case'? I have searched the internet and seen that no-win, no-fee libel lawyers advertise so I don't understand this sentence.

Legal aid is not available either regardless of means.

Sorry, I don't know what this means 'regardless of means'.
Such a case means your case ie.suing someone for defamation of character.Regardless of means means legal aid is not given for libel/slander to anyone at all.If you can find someone to take your case on a no-win no-fee then I wish you well.I have not heard of anyone.Good luck and best regards XXXXX XXXXX SMITH