UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

I have pleaded guilty to burgalry of a dwelling and have a…

Customer Question
I have pleaded guilty to...
I have pleaded guilty to burgalry of a dwelling and have a previous conviction 5 years ago.
Both cases involved a woman that lived at the house so the judge thinks there might be another reason why I did it.
I am 44 years old and have a very good job.
The judge doesn't believe my account of what happened and even after the probation report he doesn't believe what I have said. At the sentencing hearing he said based on the information he had he would have no alternative but to give me a custodial sentence. He offered me the chance to go and see a forensic psychiatrist and told me to be open and candid.
I am not sure what to expect or what is best for me to say or not say!!
Do I tell them I went there to go through their underwear draw?
What is your advice?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: UK Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/15/2010
Solicitor: Jo C., Barrister replied 8 years ago
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Is that the reason you were there?

I went to that road to meet a woman, got chased by womans partner and his friend and ran to that house to take refuge and call police, door was ajar knocked and went in grabbed mobile phone off of the stairs to ring police and heard voices outside, I ran out the house but still had phone in my hand and knocked a woman over as I ran through the door. It was dark and didn't know at the time who I had knocked into. I hid up the road and got found. The judge doesn't believe this as it involved a woman at the house and my previous was a woman that lived at the house.

If I stick to this version of events I will definately go to prison so what is the best thing to say? I went there for sexual reasons i.e underwear???

In the course of legal proceedings you can only tell the truth or say nothing. However, if this is a second offence of dwelling burglary you are looking at custody and I'm sorry, but you will be lucky to escape a custodial sentence.

The case law currently says that even a first offence of dwelling burglary can see a person sent to prison and of course 3 strikes sees a person go to prison for a minimum of 3 years. Good luck.