Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

MY DAUGHTER GOT HER EXAM RESULTS TODAY AND SHE GOT A 2 2 IN

MY DAUGHTER GOT HER EXAM RESULTS TODAY AND SHE GOT A 2 2 IN LAW FROM UCC, ARE HER OPTIONS LIMITED!
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 7 years ago.

In what sense, for a future career as a solicitor or barrister?

Kind regards,

Tom

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

TOM,

SHE IS NOT SURE WHAT SHE WANTS TO DO, HAS SHE OPTIONS TO GO ON TO DO A MASTERS? SHE IS NOT IN A MOOD TO DISCUSS IN DETAIL WHAT SHE WANTS TO DO. I THINK SHE IS VERY DISSAPOINTED!!!

REGARDS

WORRIED MOM

Expert:  Thomas replied 7 years ago.

As to he masters, I wouldn't have thought that it would be a barrier - university's are after fees, so she'll certainly find somewhere to do it.

As to a career in Law, it's not helpful to her chances but it's not fatal either. It does mean that if she chooses to go to Law School it would be worth her going the extra mile to secure a commendation or, better still, a distinction in order to lessen the impact of the 2.2 and create a personal narrative that will catch the eye of prospective law firms:- I suffered a setback at degree level because XYZ but I recommitted myself at Law School and achieved ABC.

Law is very competitive and she will probably need a commendation/distinction or some other selling points (legal experience) to set her apart. If she's not prepared to go the extra yard then she should think hard. The very cream of the crop law firms are unlikely to look at 2.2 graduates, but many other firms will.

These things are never as serious as they seem at the time. I got some pretty dire A level results but did well at Uni and then well again at Law School and that swung it for me.

If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I maybe rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,

om