UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

my land landy got a year up front on her rent she mis lead…

Customer Question
my land landy got a...
my land landy got a year up front on her rent she mis lead me into renting a four bed house which is only a three no plans or building reg now she doing searches on me is it illegal
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: UK Law
6/14/2010
Solicitor: Aston Lawyer, Solicitor replied 8 years ago
Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor

Hi there,

Thanks for your enquiry.

Could you give me a little more information please? Are you saying that the 4th bedroom does not have Building Regulations?

Have you signed a 12 month Assured Shorthold Tenancy, and if so, does it refer to the Property as being 4 bedroomed?

What checks on you is the landlady making?

Thanks

Andy M

yes i signed a 12 month tenancy with a year up front 26 thousand pound i rented the house from a property company who she has sacked she never had building reg to turn the garagr into a bedroom nor planning permission , she emailed me yesterday and said my maidain name was gudgeon and im not divorce i never said i was divorced separeted she also told me i was bankrupt seven years ago i owned my own company what went under i dont owe her money it dont seem right what she doing

Hi again,

Thanks for your reply.

I am afraid your landlady is doing nothing illegal by doing various searches on you- she has obviously found this information from public sources, and which could be found by anyone who looks hard enough.

If she advertised the Property as a 4 bed, you may have a claim against her for a reduction in Rent. I suggest that you contact the Leasehold Advisory Service if you wish to pursue this further- they offer free advice! Here is a link to their website-

www.lease-advice.org/

I hope this answers your question, and if so, I would be grateful if you could press the Accept button.

Kind Regards

Andy M