UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

have just been suspended from a call centre for what they have…

Customer Question
have just been suspended from...
have just been suspended from a call centre for what they have classed as possible fruadulent activities. about three weeks ago i had a call from a customer enquiring about a item that was reduced on website. After looking at item i contact business support team who told me that it was an pricing error but the customer could try to place order but it may be can be canceled before dispatch. after advising customer of this escaleted to team leader. One week later i was taking into a meeting with management of my company interviewed and told they may need to speak to me again. Last week i was taking into meeting again and interviewed in this interview i was asked if i had told any one about this and if any colleques heard my conservation. i told them that i was not sure as no one mentioned the problem. Today i was suspended as a team member who was suspended at the first interview said i left the floor to phone my husband. I did leave the floor and went to the toilet never phoned any one. Where do i stand with this. And what outcome can i possibly be looking at.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: UK Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/14/2010
Solicitor: Jo C., Barrister replied 8 years ago
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
How long have you worked there?
i have worked therefor 1year 8 months . 1.4 years with outside contract and 4 months with company on permament contract
Solicitor: Ben Jones, UK Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
And when you say 'outside contract' what do you mean? Was it through an agency?
yes through agency

As you have only been a permanent employee for 4 months this means that you are not protected against unfair dismissal and your employer can dismiss you for any reason they want as long as it is not discriminatory (e.g. on grounds of sex, race, religion, age or a disability).

But being suspended does not mean you are guilty and that is only used as an employer to preserve evidence and ensure a fair investigation is conducted. So if you are suspended it could be that they don't find anything and let you return to your normal duties. But they can also take this to the next step, which is a disciplinary. There you would have the opportunity to present your side of the story and they will make a decision based on the available evidence. If they find out that you were guilty (all they have to do is believe you are guilty based on the evidence, they don't have to prove it), then you may be dismissed. Alternatively they may issue you with a warning or take no action at all. it is impossible to predict as it depends on so many factors but those are the possible options.

Please press the ACCEPT button to proceed. You would then be free to ask any follow-up questions you may have. Thank you.