How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7609
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi Ive been a tenant for more than 5 years at the same

Resolved Question:


I've been a tenant for more than 5 years at the same place. My AST tenancy is renewed every 6 months. At the last renewal my landlord said that they had decided to keep all tenancies limited to a period of 2 years maximum and I would have to leave the property on or before the end of the current AST, with no penalties for leaving early. They stated that I had not broken or infringed my tenancy agreement in any way and that it was 'not personal'. What are my rights? Do I have any or must I just bite the bullet and go?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 7 years ago.



Thanks for your question.


Could your just clarify - has the landlord said that you must leave at the end of the tenancy because they do not wish for any occupier to live there for longer than two years (and therefore you must leave because you have been there for 5years under separate ASTs)?


If I have misunderstood please let me know.


Kind regards,



Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Hi Tom


Yes, that is exactly the situation.





Expert:  Thomas replied 7 years ago.

Hello Janet,


I regret to say that the landlord is under no legal duty to offer you a new tenancy, it is his decision who he contracts with unfortunately because ASTs do not grant tenants significant security of tenure. Hence why almost all residential landlord grant under ASTs.


If he requires you to leave at the end of the term then he must serve a s21 Housing Act 1988 notice upon you giving you two months written notice. If he does not do so, or serves an invalid notice, then you are not required to leave until a valid notice has been served and the notice period expired. If he serves one you can check it against one of the templates available from online document providers.


If a valid s21 notice has expired and you remain in occupation then he will only be able to evict you with a Court order, so he would have to apply for one once the notice period expires. He would, though, be able to sue you for the extra rent for the period and his costs in making the application.


I'm very sorry it could not be better news, but your only way of moving forward is attempt to reason with them in the hope they will see the logic of sticking with a responsible tenant rather than contracting with another unknown person.


If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,



Thomas and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you