UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

My husband and I have been separated for over a year, we own…

Customer Question
My husband and I have...
My husband and I have been separated for over a year, we own a house jointly and I currently live in the property with our 3 kids. I've asked him to return the keys to me as he is constantly coming to the home in my absence and taking stuff. Apparently, according to the law he is legally entitled to keep the keys because his name is XXXXX XXXXX mortgage and Title. However, I am solely meeting the full mortgaage payments. He has suggested I change the locks but I have 5 external doors and it is very costly. If I were to change the locks am I legally obliged to give him a set of keys if he request me to do so? It's a bit of a catch 22 situation because if I change the locks chances are he would try and influence my 10 yr old son who will have his own set of keys to give them to him and then duplicate them. It's a vicious circle because changing the locks won't resolve my problem. Any advice much appreciated please?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: UK Law
6/14/2010
Solicitor: F E Smith, Solicitor replied 8 years ago
F E Smith
F E Smith, Solicitor
Does he never forewarn you that he is coming?
No, and I would prefer him not to have open access to the property for obvious reasons, its an invasion of my privacy and I cant move on with my life. What can I do to resolve this? thanks.

Good afternoon,

This is unfortunately a common situation and one which is certainly capable of resolution. If you have been separated for over a year you need to decide now whether the marriage is over. If you come to the conclusion that the marriage has irretrievably broken down you can then commence divorce proceedings and within those proceedings the matter of finance and property can be dealt with and first of all your solicitor would be able to send a letter on your behalf asking him to stay out of the property. Alternatively if you do feel threatened by the situation you maybe able to apply for an injunction which is a court order restraining him from coming to the property. In other words you need the protection of the court as without it there is little or nothing that you can do to resolve the situation. Good luck.

This answer is based on the information supplied. I hope that this answers your question. If so, I would ask you, please to click 'Accept' so that I can be paid.

Best wishes.

F E