UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

can i sue the police and when ihave just had my complaint…

Customer Question
can i sue the police...
can i sue the police and when ? ihave just had my complaint upheld by by the ipcc and my case was thrown out 2days before it weant to court.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: UK Law
6/14/2010
Solicitor: Jo C., Barrister replied 8 years ago
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
-Could you explain your situation a little more?
i was arrested for sexual assault to my daughter the police gave my daughter leading question and beefed up the statement to make things appear much worse than they were my complaint was upheld and will probaly be dealt thro lcal resolution if i decide this my daughters step dad is a policeman also

How old is she?

time of offence she was 5-6 now she his 16 when she repoted this

Do you realise that she would have given an ABE interview then which would have been videoed?

The police would not have been able to influence that.

can i sue the police because 2 professors defence and prosecution said they were leading questions and police statement was changed which ipcc have upheld my complaints if police say they was wrong doing. i lost my job suffered depression and was put om bail for 1 year 2days before trial it was thrown out no evidence. to which will be my second complaint which the ipcc is dealing with now. why did i get charged in the first place i shouldnt of.

No.

ABE interviews are not bound by the rules of evidence. All leading questions do in an ABE interview is create a situation where the answers may not be reliable.

You do, however, have a very good case against your daughter who is the real culprit in this case. You cannot blame the police because she made a false allegation against you though.

Lots of innocent men are regularly charged with sexual offences. You were charged because your daughter made a false allegation which is not really the fault of the officers.

Also, this would not have been thrown out for no evidence. There is evidence. She made an allegation. Many convictions are obtained on that evidence.