UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

UK Law

Hi, I am getting married to my Seychellois husband and intend

Hi, I am getting married to...
I am getting married to my Seychellois husband and intend for him to holiday with me for 6 months as we were turned down for a Fiance visa in December 09. The Seychelles does not have any restrictions on holidaying in the UK. As far as I know, I give a letter of invitation and whoever I invite can stay upto 6 months. Does this rule still apply for my husband coming over?
6/14/2010
Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer

Thanks for your question.

Please can you clarify - are you asking what is required in order for your husband to come here on a visitor's visa and NOT what is required for a spouses visa?

Kind regards,

Tom

I will be married in August and I am NOT applying for a visa as I already have and there was not enough evidence to support the application. Hence it was rejected.

I want him to spend 6 months on holiday with me after we marry. I'd like to know if there are any restrictions before I arrange this.

People from the Seychelles do not require a visa to visit the UK but I'm wondering if my husband will need a visa.

Many Thanks

Thanks for your reply.

What is your immigration status in the UK or do you hold a UK passport?

Kind regards,

Tom

I was born in the UK and hold a British passport.

Veronica

Okay, and are you resident in the UK at the moment?

Tom

I live here in London.

Hi Veronica,

Thanks for your reply.

Your husband can apply for a 6 month visitor's visa as a general visitor. To visit as such he will have to show that:-

1. He intends to visit the UK for no more than 6 months (statements)

2. He intends to leave the UK at the end of the 6 months (statements, possibly evidence of continuing residence in the Seychelles (eg, tenancy, statement from employer)

3. He has enough money to support himself whilst in the UK during this time without needing any help from public funds.

As you suggested you should also write a letter confirming you wish for him to come here for this period and he should enclose this with his application.

It is very important that he does not jeopardise any future application he would wish to make for a spouses visa by overstaying his visitor's visa. Also he cannot apply for a spouses visa from the UK whilst here on his visitor's visa, if he decides he wishes to apply for a spouses visa then he will have to return to the Seychelles and make it from there.

He can apply online for a visitor's visa (or by application form) from the UKBA's visa website.

If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up question.

Kind regards,

Tom

Dear XXXXX,

Thank you for your detailed response.

Does he still need to apply for a visitor's visa despite Seychelles residents not needing one to travel to the UK?

Veronica

Hi Veronica,

To my suprise, no, he doesn't need a visa. Please accept my apologies.

As a non-visa national they will generally be granted a visa at port of entry upon arriving here, but please bear in mind that the Entry Clearance Officer will need to be satisfied that he meets the requirements of good character. Generally, one only does not meet this criteria if they have a criminal record, so if he has a criminal record then I would advise making an application from the Seychelles before he comes here.

If he does not then he will be fine and there is no need for a letter of invitation.

Again, the visitors visa will be valid for six months and my provisions about returning at the end of the visa still apply.

Sorry for the confusion.

Kind regards,

Tom

Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Thomas
Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer