UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

Hi, If my wife has moved out of the house about a year ago…

Customer Question
Hi, If my wife has moved...

If my wife has moved out of the house about a year ago and then slept with another man and lived with him for 2 months is that adultery?

If I file for the divorce what right have I got when it comes to anything we own together ? what about things that is in her name but I paid for in full and also what about property that I bought before I got married and property bought after getting married possi bly registered in her name but I am paying the mortgage with no financial help from her?
Thanks

Shawn
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: UK Law
6/13/2010
Solicitor: Clare, Solicitor replied 8 years ago
Clare
Clare, Solicitor

hi

how long were you married/cohabiting and are there any children involved

claire

We have been together since September 2001, got married in South africa in February 2007, she left me in August 2009 and we don't have any kids.

Shawn

hi

yes you can certainly issue a petition based on adultery ( although it i shard to prove if she will not agree)

given the length of the relationship the starting point for division of the assets is 50/50 but you may be able to negotiate a larger share to reflect your contribution

claire

she has admitted it to me when she was at my house a week ago is that evidence enough? Is it also evidence enough for his wife to use it for an adultery charge by me informing her of it they have been seperated for 12 months?

What about his indefnite leave to remain in the UK?#

Shawn

hi

no the admission would need to be in writing before it would be worth issuing a petition

the ilr is irrelevant i am afraid

claire