UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

I ask as Chair of an Allotments Society. People rent plots…

Customer Question
I ask as Chair of...
I ask as Chair of an Allotments Society.
People rent plots from the Society. Sometimes when their tenancy ends, they leave property behind and don't answer letters.

Under The Torts (Interference with Goods) Act 1977 [12 (3)] it seems that with proper notice, we can sell their goods. However, 12(5) says "A bailee exercising his powers under subsection (3) shall be liable to account to the bailor for the proceeds of sale ...."

1. Does this mean that we have to give the proceeds of any sale to the ex-tenant?
If the answer to 1. is Yes.
2. Can we keep the money and pay it if asked?
Thank you
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: UK Law
6/13/2010
Solicitor: Michael Holly, Solicitor replied 8 years ago
Michael Holly
Michael Holly, Solicitor

The answer is yes that if the person turns up after you have given notice to them asnd sold the goods then you must give them the proceeds of sale."shall be liable" implies that you can wait to be asked rather than send the money to the ex tenant. If you do have to send the proceeds of sale to the ex tenant you can deduct the expenses of the sale.

I hope this helps kindly click accept so that I get credit for my answer

Best wishes

Yours sincerely

Michael,
Oh dear!
Can the Society, instead of selling, tell the plot holder (tenant?) that the goods are left at the plot holders risk? ... that the Society has no responsibility for their safekeeping?
Chair

Yes you can do that, then it would only apply if they then left stuff behind because you still become involuntary bailees.

You then write and if no reply dispose of the items. It is only if you sell them and they turn up later that you have any obligation to account to them. As such if you sell items you simply need to record what they fetched.

Yours sincerely