UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

my husband died recently and left a lot of debts. a collection…

Customer Question
my husband died recently and...
my husband died recently and left a lot of debts. a collection agency is chasing me for a Nat. West. Bank debt for £28,000 which they say I am jointly and severally responsible for the debt. as I signed for the account in 2002. I have no knowledge of this, nor that the debt was run up - what is my position legally?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: UK Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/12/2010
Solicitor: Jo C., Barrister replied 8 years ago
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Do you know what this debt is in respect of?
I have no idea what the debt was run up for or what the money was spent on
Is this a joint account then?
I really don't know . To my knowledge I have never had an account with Nat West. It is Tenon Recovery on behalf of NatWest Bank which is chasing me. They say " The bank has advise me that the above acounts (3 of them) were opened on 12 September 2002 and that you were a joint signatory to each account and that you remain jointly and severally liable for the outstanding amount. Would you please contact me as soon as possible to discuss this matter further using the contact details provided" i.e a telephone number at Finsbury Circus, London which makes me rather nervous as it seems they mean business. My husband lived off my inheritance for the last 27 years and was convicted of fraud some years back in which I was implicated but exonerated. Is it that although ignorant of this debt I have no defence in law?

If you were a joint signature then you are liable for this sum.

the question will be whether you are or not. It might be that some of these accounts would be time barred. It depends when they were last acknowledged.

When did he die?

Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
August 7 2009

Your answer - " the question will be whether you are or not. It might be that some of these accounts would be time barred. It depends when they were last acknowledged.

When did he die?"

I replied - 7 Aug 2009 - in your reply above please would you clarify 'time barred'?

There would need to be 6 years since they were last acknowledged. If he died that recently then its not likely that it would be that length of time unfortunately.

I cannot remember signing for these accounts - shall I ask for a copy of the agreement I am supposed to have signed for?

You should ask for evidence that this was a joint account. They will have to prove that to the court.

Thank you for your help - I will ask for evidence that this was a joint account - I suspect that my signature was forged

OK. Good luck.