UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

hi, what is the legal obligation of a uk retailer to accept…

Customer Question
hi, what is the legal...
hi, what is the legal obligation of a uk retailer to accept a return, within 14 days, if i change my mind on a product purchase?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: UK Law
6/11/2010
Solicitor: Ben Jones, UK Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer

Hi

Is there anything wrong with the item?

no, works fine
upgraded my vodafone contract to a iphone, then realised the new one is coming in a few weeks so want to return it and take the new one. am within 14 days of signing new contract
and were you informed if there was a cancellation or returns policy when you purchased it?
they did not mention anything to do with cancellations/returns

OK, thanks. In that case I'm afraid there is no legal obligation on them to accept the return. The law does not cover returns when the consumer simply does not like a product or changes their mind. The only times you would be covered is if the item was faulty, when you can return it or request a repair/replacement under the Sale of Goods Act or if you had bought it online, through mail order or over the phone, when you would be covered by the Distance Selling Regulations.

If there is nothing wrong with an item and you wish to return it you would have to rely on the retailer's own returns policy. If there isn't one then unfortunately you won't be able to return it.

Please press the ACCEPT button to proceed. You would then also be able to ask any follow-up questions you may have. Thank you.

i was under the impression that there is always a "cooling off" period after signing a new contract?
No, that's not true I'm afraid. Some contracts have a cooling off period, such as those concluded at a distance, or some hire-purchase agreements, but a standard contract made in a shop is binding as soon as the purchase is completed
are they obliged to cancel the contract and refund me if the product is faulty?
I would be more than happy to assist further but please press the Accept button first. Thank you
are you able to give me clear legal grounds on which i can return the phone and cancel the contract? if so i'm happy to accept
I can tell you the law on when the retailer can accept a return. How you apply it is up to you
will this enable me to return the phone if it faulty and terminate the new contract?

not necessarily. You can never guarantee that. Even if you went in a shop with a law book and showed them a piece of legislation that tells them they should accept it they can still refuse...you would then need to get involved with the courts. So the fact that some law exists on something is never a guarantee that you will get your way - it just means that if you had to go to court to enforce it you are likely to succeed...

ok mate thanks, XXXXX XXXXX!
ok, but just be prepared that you're unlikely to be able to return it