Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

I have an employee that has lost interest in her job, she has

Customer Question

I have an employee that has lost interest in her job, she has told another employee, who has then told me, that she is going to leave at the end of our busy season.
I am expecting her to say something this week. When she does, how much notice do I need to give if I decide she is to leave straight away. She has been in our employment since march 09.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 7 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

If she comes to you and tenders her resignation then she will have to give you one weeks notice because she has worked for your for more than one month but less than two years.

If this is useful please kindly click acept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,

Tom

Edited by Thomas on 6/11/2010 at 6:57 PM EST
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
If I dont want to keep her on till the end of the season as i will need to replace her with a new employee, how much notice do I need to give her.
Expert:  Thomas replied 7 years ago.

You would have to give her the same amount of notice unless a longer one has been specified either orally or in her written employment contract if she has one.

Note that you can only dismiss employee's by one of six reasons, there is lots of information about how you can dismiss here:-

http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=1797

If you are in doubt about whether you can legally dismiss her then you might speak to her informally and see if she wishes to terminate her employment by mutual consent with you.

I hope this clarifies, if so please kindly click accept.

Kind regards,

Tom

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for your reply. Will look into the link you sent. We have a few reasons that may be relevant.
Expert:  Thomas replied 7 years ago.

Okay, make sure you follow the disciplinary and dismissal procedures as well. ACAS are very helpful if you give them a call.

Thanks for the kind accept.

Tom