UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

Following a long period out of work I got a temporary xmas…

Customer Question
Following a long period out...
Following a long period out of work I got a temporary xmas job in Argos. I was suffering extreme hardship and resorted to stealing items to sell on. I was caught and arrested. I handed to the police everything i had taken, all be it out of the original boxes, and was given a police caution.
Argos are now pursuing a civil recovery case through RLP for the full retail price of the goods stating that because the original packaging was not available the goods were not fit for resale.
If i pay their demands then am i entitled to the goods or should i argue that i should only be liable for the cost value of the goods
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: UK Law
6/11/2010
Solicitor: Ben Jones, UK Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer

Hi

What does their full claim amount to?

The full details of the claim were:

Value of unrecovered (or unfit for resale) goods/monies/services £1003.95

Staff/Management time investigating and/or dealing with incident £ 50.00

Totalling 1053.95

I argued that one item was returned in full packaging and they agreed to deduct that item from the end total.

They are now claiming a total of £943.95

Solicitor: Jo C., Barrister replied 8 years ago
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister

You are not entitled to the goods.

But they will have to prove that they were not fit for resale which is pretty rare with shoplifting. They won't get their staff fees.

I don't know what they are saying that you stole but its very unlikely the court will accept that you did that amount of damage.

The only damage whch they are claiming makes the good unfit for resale is the fact that they do not have the packaging. The goods themselves are in factory unused condition

Thats not going to succeed at court.

They may get the cost of repackaging from you but not the full amount of the product.

They don't often take action arising from these letters.

Ok Thanks

So as it stands the last letter from the civil recovery company states that they will no longer correspond with me over the matter and if i do not settle/arrange terms within the next 21 days then the next course of action will for them to apply for a summary judgement based on the fact that my defense has no legal basis and therefore no likelihood of success.

They state the client (argos) is prepared to issue court proceedings which will add to my debt with court costs and interest accruing on a daily basis at 8% per annum.

They state i have 3 options which are

1 pay the debt

2 set up a repayment plan

3 write asking for the matter to be tried by a civil court judge

What should be my course of action. Ignore them totally or ask to be tried in court ?

It depends how much risk you want to take.

But I would write back telling them that I don't believe I'm liable and invite them to sue.

Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister

As a quick follow up to this I have just discovered that Argos run an EBay clearance shop where they sell end of catalogue items as well as used returned refurbished items.

In the info section they state that all refurbed goods are sold in original packaging unless stated.

So if this is the case, does the fact that they are claiming i owe full retail value of the goods because the are unresaleable because they were used and not boxed have very little standing in any proceedings as they do sell used and unboxed item as part of their business ??

if they got the item back then they will not be able to claim for the full value anyway.

they may be entitled to the difference between the actual sale value and the amount that they sold for.