UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

Where do I stand paying the bill I put my car in a garage…

Customer Question
Where do I stand paying...
Where do I stand paying the bill? I put my car in a garage inital check for fault was £80 specifically said that if the car needed a new engine not to commence any other work was told no just a part (total cost inc vat now £667.40) went ahead with the work only to be told by the garage that the car still not right and needs a new engine. where do I stand ? wont do a diagnostic check to find problem/hand any paperwork over or allow me to take the car anywhere else for a 2nd opinion without full payment. I believe they have checked and discovered that the fault is actually what they originally told me it wasn't which is why they dont want me to get a 2nd opinion.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: UK Law
6/11/2010
Solicitor: Jo C., Barrister replied 8 years ago
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
What type of check did you have done for £80 and what type of garage?
inital check up was £40 and a further £40 was to do a pressure test to check if the valves where damaged. It is a mot testing station and repairs was actually booked in for following day to check out fault but broke down night before.

It really depends what they said to you about this.

If they told you that it would definitely resolve the problem then you may have a claim against them for the amount you spent on the basis that this was bad service.

If they told you that it may resolve the problem but there may be a need for other work then you would not have a claim. usually they don't give guarantees like that I'm afraid as some secondhand cars to respond to different things.

You can complain to trading standards about this also though.

They assured me that this work would rectify the problem I repeatedly asked the question would this work be it? and they said yes I had specifically said that should it require a new engine no further work was to be carried out and they assured me that it did not and only the part was required to get my car up and running again (car is 6yr old). It was only after changing this part did they discover that the car would still not work and told me that it needed a new engine.

I believe that the valves were damaged and that is why there is still a fault showing, I have expressed this concern to the garage who had initially charged me for a test to check this (said it was ok on inital test) as damaged valves mean a new engine. They are refusing to do another valve test or to release the car for me to get it independantly checked without me first paying the bill in full. Can they do this?

I am a single parent and rely on my car I have had to walk or catch the bus for 2 months whilst this has been going on and feel agrieved to pay out that amount to then to pay someone else to run a test and still have no car at the end of it.

They can hold a mechanic's lien over it until their bill is paid. Your circumstances will make no difference to that.

If these were only oral statements then you always face the problem of proving them. Trading standards might be your best option.