UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

I rather stupidly refused a breath test almost 2 years back…

Customer Question
I rather stupidly refused a...
I rather stupidly refused a breath test almost 2 years back after a car accident and have now received a bill from the inuseurers for £17000. This includes third party injuries, third party legal costs, car repairs, admin and car hire. What do I do?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: UK Law
6/10/2010
Solicitor: Jo C., Barrister replied 8 years ago
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Can you summarise for me the events leading up to the refusal of test please?
I took a road side test and failed which I was very surprised at altrhough it was low at around 51 I think but panicked in the Police station and could not go through with the test. I asked to speak with the doctor but this was refused and I could not go through with it.
Is there an answer to this question please?

I'm afraid its bad news.

You are liable for this sum. Your insurers will use the fact of the refusal to provide as an excuse to void your insurance policy and ultimately, you are liable to the other party.

Obviously they can only have money that you have but if they do sue you they would win I'm afraid. Even if the accident were not your fault, its very difficult to argue that you were driving carefully if you refused a breath test.