UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

I found out today that phones4U have been taking 7.99 a month…

Customer Question
I found out today that...
I found out today that phones4U have been taking £7.99 a month from my bank account for the last 8 years without my knowledge (From 12/03/02 until 10/06/10). This has now been cancelled but my calculations are that £791.01 has been charged for insurance on a Nokia 8310 which was purchased from them on that start date. No attempt what so ever has been made to contact me during this 8 year period even though they have my mobile phone number.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: UK Law
6/10/2010
Solicitor: Jo C., Barrister replied 8 years ago
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
What do you want to know about this?
How do I go about claiming this money back?

Right. Did you cancel this insurance at any earlier time?

I never knew I had insurance set up in the first place.

So you didn't? That could be a problem then.

They must have had your account details to take these funds which gives rise to the inference that you must have agreed to it at some. If you did not then cancel at some point or another or the agreement did not come to a natural end then you would not have the right to recover.

Even if you can show that you did cancel or did not agree, you would only be able to claim for the last 6 years. The rest is time barred.

Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
I want to know why the company can continue to take the money from my account for 8 years with no attempt to contact me with regards XXXXX XXXXX How would I go about claiming any of this back?

I think probably that their answer will be that you did not cancel.

You need to sort that out first. If you did not, its game over.

Its not their responsibility to contact you. Its yours to cancel.