UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

Hello, Bought a car on the 26th May, paid 550 deposit there…

Customer Question
Hello, Bought a car on the...
Bought a car on the 26th May, paid £550 deposit there were things they were going to do before delivery. A few days later I contacted an agency to check the mileage which was shown as 97,00 on the car but on the check it was 175,000. Went down, they told my husband it was rubbish and they had all the correspondence to verify it. My husband took them at their word but didn't see the correspondence. Upto now 10/06 they have rang with one excuse after another to delay delivery. We told them yesterday we no longer wanted the vehicle and wanted our money back. They said they needed this in writing. Do we need to do this. My husband is going down Saturday morning to recover the money.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: UK Law
6/10/2010
Solicitor: James Mather,
 replied 8 years ago
James Mather

They are guilty of misrepresentation and breach of contract and the terms of the Sale of Goods Act

Hopefully they will give your husband the £550 back when he goes down on Saturday. If they don't simply issue proceedings against them www.moneyclaim.gov.uk

It isn't difficult. Faced with court they will normally pay up. You are entitled to interest but the sum is so small at the moment t isn't worth worrying about.

If this helps I will only get credit if you now accept my answer please. The question will not close and happy to answer further.

I can only advise you based on the facts you present.

If you give me good feedback, this helps put me up the ratings.

Thank you.

Good luck.

Regards

JL

Edited by James Law on 6/10/2010 at 11:32 AM EST
James Mather
Solicitor: James Mather,
 replied 8 years ago

Just to add, if you paid deposit by credit card, file dispute with credit card company.

If they want cancellation in writing, there is no reason not to let them have it

JL