UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

Do you have to follow disciplinary procedures or is a minimum…

Customer Question
Do you have to follow...
Do you have to follow disciplinary procedures or is a minimum of one weeks notice sufficient for staff that have been employed less than one year.
One of my former managers suspended an employee for one day(sent her home basically for consistant poor performance, again only verbally) and gave her a two week verbal termination notice expecting her to come back the next day. She did not return to work and now have a solicitors letter threatening a tribunal. Should I respond or am I save in the knowledge that the two weeks notice was sufficient
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: UK Law
6/10/2010
Solicitor: Michael Holly, Solicitor replied 8 years ago
Michael Holly
Michael Holly, Solicitor

Assuming that her contract does not say different two weeks notice would be sufficient for an employee of less than one year.

Employees of less than one year do not have statutory protection which means that they cannot claim unfair dismissal except for such things as race, age or sex discrimination and would not be entitled to a reundancy payment.

As such in the absence of race sex, or age discrimination they can only sue under their contract sio if you pay for the notice period there is nothing they can do because you simply could have terminated the contract by giving notice anyway

I hope this helps kindly click accept so that I get credit for my answer

Best wishes

Yours sincerely