UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

I run a small business (letting and estate agency) and had…

Customer Question
I run a small business...
I run a small business (letting and estate agency) and had two employees. They both left almost at the same time in April 2010 giving me the following reasons: one told me that she had to go back to Poland as her mum was very ill, the other said she has been offered a well paid job in a bigger company.
I found out today that they have set up their own letting and estate agency and are now contacting my clients in order to secure business from them. I met today one of my clients who told me that he was approached by them and he was unhappy with this and told them he was not interested. I have noticed that they already are advertising properties from my other clients which means they were able to secure business from some of them. In their contract of employment there was a clause that prevented them to engage in a similar business for six months from the end date of their employment within 4 mile radius from my premises. Their office is located 2.1 mile from me. Their contract of employment also stated that they cannot seek to obtain business from my clients for 1 year from the end of their contract.
One of them worked for me over 1 year and the other less than one year, they both did not have prior experience in the business of letting and estate agency and have learnt everything from me.
I found this situation very stressful and need advice urgently. My questions are as follows:
1. Can I take them to Court the above and what is the procedure? What options do I have and how much will this cost? Would you be able to take my case on?
2. As they have stolen my data base-can I press charges against them for it
3. Can I write a letter to my clients informing them about my former employees practises saying that they are being dishonest and its best to avoid doing business with them.
Please help as I have worked hard to built this business and can`t let it go.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: UK Law
6/9/2010
Solicitor: UK, Paralegal replied 8 years ago
UK
UK, Paralegal
1) Yes you can take them to Court for breach of contract. You could obtain an injunction to stop them from working within 4 miles.

For this you will need to see a Solicitor to draft a statement, application and present the argument in Court. The cost will depend, if it is not contested around £500 or so, if it is contested around £5000. However if you win you may be able to recover legal fees.

2) Yes you can report to the Police for theft as well as claiming damages.

3) Yes you can write letters to your clients.